Director of Operations
Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a leading developer, owner and operator of utility-scale energy storage and hybrid renewable projects that power our communities and cities. Our mission is to responsibly decarbonize the grid and make North American energy markets more affordable, sustainable, and efficient. Aypa is well-capitalized and uniquely positioned to lean forward on projects with deal structures that are well suited to meet our customers’ needs. Aypa has been at the forefront of energy storage development since our first energy storage project came online in 2018. As a leader in our industry, we now have over 10 GW of utility-scale energy storage and hybrid renewable energy projects in development, and 32 projects in operation or construction across North America.
The Director of Operations is responsible for spearheading the development, growth, and execution of the technical operations of Aypa Power’s energy storage and hybrid business. This position will oversee the operations of multiple assets spanning several markets, each with unique market and contractual obligations. Must have experience directing utility-scale plant operations and asset management, coupled with a strong technical background in power plant operations.
- Operations Management: Work with internal and external stakeholders as well as vendors on troubleshooting, diagnostics, performance engineering and operations management for Aypa’s portfolio of energy storage and hybrid projects.
- Platform Development: Play a lead role in creating and executing the long-term technical asset management and operations strategy for Aypa’s portfolio of energy storage and hybrid projects.
- Cross-Functionality: Collaborate with the Commercial Asset Management team in optimizing existing project revenues.
- Reporting: Originate and report key performance indicators monthly to the broader management team, including liaising with structured finance group to deliver upon requirements of financing parties.
- Vendor Management: Manage relationships with project operator(s), OEM(s), O&M service provider(s), Energy Management System (EMS) provider(s), Optimization Engine provider(s), 24/7 NOC, QSE and trading desks.
- Project Migration: Collaborate with EPC Team to seamlessly integrate projects under construction into operations.
- Contract Enforcement: Originate, administer, and track warranty claims on existing projects. Determine contractual deviations from project stakeholders.
- Network: Cultivate new relationships in the operations and asset management space.
- Transaction Support: Work closely with internal and external resources to structure, negotiate and close project transactions with Vendors related to MSA and LTSA.
- Budgeting and P&L: In collaboration with Commercial and Finance teams, develop and track annual operating budget.
- Diligence: Provide due diligence on late-stage or operating M&A opportunities.
- Regulatory: Work with regulatory and policy experts to understand and roll out ISO or utility modifications that would implicate technical or commercial operations.
- Compliance: Work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure compliance with NERC and FERC standards for Aypa’s assets under construction and during operations, lead and setup internal compliance program.
- General: Provide input into company business plan and operations strategy.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- A Graduate degree (MS or MBA) is desirable.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in utility-scale renewable or thermal energy plant operations and/or asset operations management.
- Minimum of three (3) years in centralized operations control.
- Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting, diagnostics, and performance engineering as part of asset operations management.
- Familiarity with field operations, service and maintenance is preferred.
- Project operations history in at least two of: ERCOT, CAISO, PJM and NYISO preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in management of availability, performance, and reliability of power plant operations.
- Familiarity with grid scale battery storage plant operations is preferred.
- Customer focused personality, comfortable using critical reasoning and judgement to make good decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Strong leadership skills and ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, including a demonstrated proactive work ethic. As part of a lean and dynamic team, the candidate must be able to plan, oversee, and personally execute numerous projects simultaneously, work well under pressure, and adjust to changing priorities.
Compensation and Location:
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
- Salary: Base salary and annual bonus that is commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: Aypa offers an attractive benefit package with excellent health care / dental / vision, 401k matching, and other health and wellness benefits.
- Location: Austin, Texas. This is a hybrid role that will require both in-office and remote work. Candidate must be willing to travel 15-25% to support site operations.
Aypa is an equal opportunity employer. At Aypa, we nurture and support a highly diverse team and actively seek to advance fair and inclusive practices in all aspects of what we do. We hire passionate, dedicated, and forward-thinking individuals from different backgrounds, and we value unique perspectives and experiences. With a focus on belonging, we are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all.