Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a leading developer, owner and operator of utility-scale energy storage and hybrid renewable projects that power our communities and cities. Our mission is to responsibly decarbonize the grid and make North American energy markets more affordable, sustainable, and efficient. Aypa is well-capitalized and uniquely positioned to lean forward on projects with deal structures that are well suited to meet our customers’ needs.
Aypa has been at the forefront of energy storage development since our first energy storage project came online in 2018. As a leader in our industry, we now have over 10 GW of utility-scale energy storage and hybrid renewable energy projects in development, and 32 projects in operation or construction across North America.
Aypa is seeking an experienced power generation & renewable energy professional to oversee the company’s project and structured finance group. This multifaceted position will play a lead role in the development and ultimate financing of projects, as well as be an active part of the company’s corporate finance function. This role will report directly to the CFO and will manage several team members who lead the company’s financial and corporate modeling efforts.
- As part of an entrepreneurial org and finance team, a willingness and desire to be involved in many aspects of the organization. We are building and growing the business
- Playing a lead role in structuring, executing and maintaining single asset and portfolio-level financings, including training our supporting finance staff to heavily participate in all such transactions
- Overseeing the company’s project financial analysis, and in so doing, developing finance talent, including with regards to tax equity and other PF modeling
- Closely liaising with Power Marketing, EPC/Ops and Business Development to evaluate markets and opportunities, honing an efficient way to track, advance and/or pass on opportunities
- Developing feedback loops to institutionalize learnings across the team and organization, including unit metrics that will drive design and engineering decisions
- Supporting on broader treasury and budgeting matters, recognizing that a high-quality developer knows how to stretch and optimize the use of its development capital
- A willingness to level-up and down, taking on more responsibilities and leadership while also wanting to be part of the details, and not feeling “above” the modeling or general business development realities of growing an IPP platform
- Interfacing with Blackstone on a regular basis on a range of company matters
- 6-10 years of experience, including at least 3 years in the US renewables industry
- Financial structuring and deal making experience, including with regards to evaluating complex revenue structures
- High quality financial modeling capabilities, with demonstrable experience in the US power generation space (incl tax equity), including development of talent
- Have led at least two financings and supported on several others
- An existing rolodex of project finance and tax equity relationships
- The desire to build a platform / IPP, versus a develop and flip business model
- Illustrative curiosity about power generation and storage technology, and power markets more generally
- Must have relevant experience with a developer, investment firm in the renewable energy space, or investment banking specializing in power/energy/utilities
- Understanding of engineering and renewable energy systems (solar and/or storage preferred, wind a plus) at a commercial level, such that one can drive discussions with investors, independent engineers, etc.
- While clearly a finance-centric role, enough knowledge of accounting matters to engage with auditors on commercial project issues, and support on other FP&A matters as requested
- The ability to remain calm under pressure, and regularly juggle multiple priorities
Compensation and Location:
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
- Salary: A base salary commensurate with experience
- Bonus: An annual bonus will be awarded based on both individual performance as well as the overall success of the business
- Benefits: Aypa offers an attractive benefit package with excellent health care / dental / vision, 401k matching, and other health and wellness benefits
- Location: Ability to work in the United States is a requirement. Preference for candidate to be based in Austin, but will consider Denver, Salt Lake City, New York and Toronto. Regular travel to Aypa’s office in Austin is required at a minimum
Aypa is an equal opportunity employer. At Aypa, we nurture and support a highly diverse team and actively seek to advance fair and inclusive practices in all aspects of what we do. We hire passionate, dedicated, and forward-thinking individuals from different backgrounds, and we value unique perspectives and experiences. With a focus on belonging, we are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all.