Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a pioneer and leading developer, owner and operator of utility-scale energy storage and hybrid renewable projects. We design customized energy storage and generation projects to power our communities and cities, and to benefit both commercial and industrial customers. Working closely with our diverse range of partners, we’re creating a world powered by affordable, sustainable, and reliable energy. Aypa is well-capitalized and uniquely positioned to lean forward on projects with deal structures that include a mix of contracted and merchant assets.
Develop stand-alone utility-scale energy storage and renewable hybrid projects from market assessment to site development and through financial close, focusing on the non-CAISO Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) region. This is a high visibility role in a growth organization with an established portfolio in a fast-paced industry. The successful candidate will be immediately assigned a portfolio of projects to manage while contributing to regional expansion.
- Own and execute project development strategy in region, with support from a top-tier commercial and strategic development team.
- Lead development of utility scale projects to successful financial close, working with in-house and external subject matter experts.
- Develop and own relationships with external project stakeholders including utility personnel, landowners and federal, state and local authorities having jurisdiction over project consents.
- Task and oversee the work of Aypa’s internal subject matter experts in real estate, transmission and interconnection, project engineering, legal and finance.
- Provide project and portfolio acquisition support.
- Source and manage consultants and other service providers to achieve project goals, including in technical, land use and environmental consulting and public relations.
- Aid in hiring, directly manage and mentor one or more development analysts.
- Work with origination and development teams to organize project materials, conduct and document outreach efforts and assist with bilateral and RFP-based power marketing.
- Provide coordination and support to Commercial team on vetting market and off-taker potential.
- Gather and organize development inputs to project financial models, from internal and external resources, including on development incentives, sales and property tax regimes, and permitting rules.
- Perform primary research and documentary support that informs actionable project development strategies in region.
- Own project status tracking and provide regular reporting to regional development lead and executive team.
- Support due diligence for development or acquisition projects, including summarizing project facts, perceived risks, and opportunities, including quantitative assessments.
- Provide input into company business plan and development strategy.
- Monitor policy development.
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a graduate degree (MBA, finance or quantitative science) desired.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in battery energy storage and/or electric energy project development (preferably utility-scale).
- Experience with non-CAISO WECC market strongly preferred.
- Demonstrably strong organizational skills and experience using project and task tracking tools.
- High initiative and desire to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with executive mentorship but limited task-level direction and supervision.
- As part of a lean and dynamic team, the candidate must be able to plan, oversee, and personally execute numerous projects simultaneously, work well under pressure, and adjust to changing priorities.
At Aypa Power we offer:
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: A base salary commensurate with experience.
Bonus: An annual bonus will be awarded based on both individual performance as well as the overall success of the business.
Benefits: Aypa offers an attractive benefit package with excellent health care / dental / vision, 401k matching, and other health and wellness benefits.
Location: Ability to work in the United States is a requirement. Preference for candidate to be based in Colorado, Arizona, or Utah; however, location of workplace is flexible provided candidate is able to travel as required.
Aypa is an equal opportunity employer. At Aypa, we nurture and support a highly diverse team and actively seek to advance fair and inclusive practices in all aspects of what we do. We hire passionate, dedicated, and forward-thinking individuals from different backgrounds, and we value unique perspectives and experiences. With a focus on belonging, we are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all.